Family Group Night | April 16, 2023
Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”
This scripture is known as “Luke’s Version of the Great Commission,” where Jesus challenged His disciples to take the Good News of God’s salvation into the whole world. This depends upon being faithful to the Bible (vs. 45), telling the story of Jesus death and resurrection (vs. 46), challenging people to repent and turn to the Lord (vs. 47a), and going everywhere with this message (vs. 47b). Finally, Jesus challenged not to depend upon their own strength, but to clothed with the Holy Spirit’s power from on high.
1. In verse forty-five, Jesus “opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.” Why do you think a relationship with Christ necessary to understand the Bible?
2. In verse forty-six, the Lord tells His followers to proclaim Jesus’ death and resurrection. Why in your opinion is this such an important part of the story of Jesus?
3. Finally, in verse forty-seven, Jesus said to preach “repentance” to all nations. “Repentance” means to turn from your old life of sin and to turn to God through Jesus Christ. Why is repentance so crucial to your salvation?
1. DECIDE to accept the Lord’s great commission to tell the world about Jesus and His love. He is the only way to be saved!
2. DECIDE to be a witness to the grace and power of the Lord Jesus Christ, both with your lips and with your life. Without Jesus, people are lost!
3. DECIDE to make prayer and spiritual preparation part of your witness for the Lord. Pray and be filled with the Holy Spirit. Then you can share with power!
“Dear God, we ask that you would fan into flame the global body of Christ so that its heartbeat for the Great Commission beats strongly. Transform us as we read your Word and pray for the good news of Jesus to be amplified as a song of praise in our lives. Use us in our homes, workplaces, ministries, nations, and world for the sake of loving God with all our hearts, minds, and souls, loving our neighbors with all the grace and mercy you give.” – Sarah Plummer