Family Group Night | April 9, 2023
“On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.”
After the crucifixion, the followers of Jesus must have been the most defeated and discouraged group of people on earth. All of their hopes and dreams were dashed. The great teachings of Jesus seemed so distant and irrelevant. And even the miraculous healings of Christ, now seemed strangely not to matter. For on Friday their Lord had been arrested, unfairly judged, tortured, and nailed to a cross to die a horrible death. But now it was Sunday. And as the women took spices to the tomb of Jesus, the Roman guard was gone. The heavy stone was rolled away from the entrance to the tomb. And looking inside, the body of Jesus was gone. And later Jesus Himself appeared to them. The resurrection of Jesus is the central event in world history. Jesus, God incarnate, paid the penalty for our sins on the cross. And then he arose from the grave, defeating sin, death, and hell for all who will receive Him into their lives!
1. In our scripture for today, some women go to Jesus’ tomb early in the morning. What are some reasons why the visited the grave of Jesus? Why do we sometimes visit the graves of loved ones today?
2. In verse two of our passage, the women discovered that the tomb was open. The stone had been rolled away from the entrance. How do you think this might have made the women feel?
3. Finally, in verse three, why do you think the women went into the tomb? What did they witness when the went inside? How did an empty grave give them hope?
1. LIVE IN HOPE – Jesus is alive and risen from the grave! This gives us hope. There is nothing that can defeat us if we know Christ!
2. LIVE IN POWER – Nothing is stronger than the resurrection power of Jesus. If you truly love and follow the Lord, you can be courageous, facing every storm with confidence.
3. TELL THE WORLD – The Good News of Jesus’ resurrection is too good to keep to ourselves. God’s grace, mercy, and salvation are available to all who will receive Him. The resurrection of Jesus puts an exclamation point on Christ’s message of forgiveness and eternal life!
Jesus, I thank you for your vast power, even over death. And in the light of your resurrection, help me to live my life in hope and peace. Help me to have courage to walk through any situation with you as my guide. And may the joy of your resurrection fill me so full that it spills from my life into the lives of others as I proclaim your message of salvation. Amen.