LEAVING A LEGACY
“The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’ “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be required of you.’”.
Jesus told the story of this rich man in Luke 12 to illustrate the futility of people who find security in storing things up for themselves without giving back generously to God and others. God gives us all we have, but He still owns it all. We are simply “stewards” or “managers” of all that God gives us to possess. Those who find security in hoarding wealth or property forget that death can come calling at any moment. Because of this we should realize that our true security is to follow the Lord whose resurrection power saves us from death and hell. When we realize this, we will give generously to God and others, knowing that all we have comes from the Lord.
1. This rich man was blessed by God with an abundant harvest. Why do you think he kept it all for himself and didn’t give to God’s work, or to help others?
2. This man found security in having enough grain saved up for many years. Why was this a false security? Where does our true security lie?
3. Can money or possessions overcome death? What is the only way we can overcome sin, death, hell, and the grave? (Hint: Who has defeated death and offers salvation to us?)
1. God gives you everything you have. Your money, your possessions, your personality, your talents, your health, your time. Even in our sinful, fallen world, God blesses us in multiple ways. THANK HIM
2. God desires us to live for Him, not ourselves. We are only managers of all God gives us to possess. With this in mind – GIVE BACK TO HIM
3. Death is coming for us all. But if we know Jesus we need not worry. Our true home is in heaven if we have opened to door in prayer to the Lord, receiving Him and our Savior. SURRENDER TO HIM
Gracious and loving God, I acknowledge that you made everything, and you own everything. I also understand that you have provided me with abundant blessings, calling me to be a faithful steward of all you entrust to me. Please help me to use your gifts wisely and teach me to share them generously. May my faithful stewardship bear witness to the Love of Christ in my life. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.