SMALL TOWN BOY
“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.”
There over 600 prophecies in the Old Testament fulfilled by only one person, the Lord, Jesus Christ. And one of these is a prophecy about a deliverer who would come from the small town of Bethlehem to free Israel and the world from oppression, bondage, and captivity. He is older than the ages but came as a baby. He had a common name, “Jesus.” But there was something different about this one whose name was Jesus. He was the Messiah, the Christ, the Anointed One – a small town boy who would save the people from their sins.
1. This verse in Micah was written approximately 750 years before Jesus Christ the Savior came, just as predicted. What does this say about God’s faithfulness?
2. It took hundreds of years before this prophecy was fulfilled. How can this encourage us to have faith in Jesus? How can this encourage us to have patience as we anticipate God’s will being accomplished in our lives today?
1. REJOICE! In the New Testament in the second chapter of Matthew, wise men came from afar seeking the new king and were sent by Herod’s scribes to Bethlehem. When they found the Christ child, the Bible says they, “rejoiced with exceeding great joy.” (Matthew 2:10). We should rejoice that, after years and years of prophecy, Jesus has come!
2. WORSHIP HIM! The Bible says that when the wise men came into Jesus’ presence, they, “fell down and worshiped Him.” (Matthew 2:11a). It is not enough just to know about Jesus. It is not enough just to find Jesus. We must worship Him to be saved!
3. GIVE HIM YOUR BEST! Finally, the wise men gave. “Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.” (Matthew 2:11b). These were precious and expensive gifts. They gave Jesus the best that they had.
Thank you, God, for the prophecies of old about Jesus Christ coming to save the world from sin. Help us to love and appreciate Him, along with You, Father, God. Please lead and guide our daily living so that we present the goodness of Christ to our families, friends, co-workers and even our enemies. Most of all, Holy Spirit, please do your work of transformation in us so that we can be more like Jesus, reaching our full potential to be all that You have created us to be.