1 Timothy 2:8-10
Therefore, I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. (1 Timothy 2:8-10)
We think of clothes as coverings for the body. A cotton shirt, a fur coat, or a leather jacket are all considered clothes. But the Bible sometimes refers to clothing in a different manner. It speaks of clothing yourself and covering yourself and adorning yourself with other things as well. For example, we should clothe ourselves in prayer. We should cover ourselves with humility. We should adorn our lives with good works. And in the passage of scripture above, the Apostle Paul writes to a young pastor named Timothy with some specific instructions. Life is a fashion show, you are a model, and the world is your runway. How are you clothing yourself?
1. In verse eight of our scripture, Paul expresses a desire for “men everywhere” to pray. Why do you think Paul considered prayer so important?
2. In verse nine of our scripture, Paul expresses the desire for women to dress modestly. Why do you think that appropriate clothing, jewelry, and hairstyles were so important to Paul? Should these things be important today?
3. In verse ten, Paul encourages his readers to adorn themselves with good deeds as an appropriate way for women who worship the Lord to profess their faith in Him. How do you think good deeds support your witness for Jesus Christ?
1. CLOTHE YOURSELF IN PRAYER – Let your body and your every thought be covered in prayer to the Lord. Pray without ceasing. Let every thought and action be bathed in prayer.
2. CLOTHE YOURSELF IN GOOD DEEDS – Your actions preach about Jesus as loudly as your words. So always be diligent to think, speak, and act in ways that honor the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. REMEMBER TO DRESS APPROPRIATELY – Even your clothing, jewelry, and hairstyles should bring honor to the Lord.
Lord, I pray that You would help me take every thought captive and think about whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8). And then, help my life to consistently reflect your glory in all I do. Help me to clothe myself in Jesus Christ! Amen.