Updated: Jun 14
A BAPTISM IN THE DESERT
Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?” Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.” So, he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. (Acts 8:36-38)
Philip was an early church leader who went to the city of Samaria preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ. Multitudes came to hear and were touched with salvation and healing, spreading great joy to the whole city. But then God led Philip to leave this revival and walk down a desert road where he encountered a eunuch. He was a high official in the court of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, and he was sitting in his chariot reading from Isaiah the prophet. Running up to the chariot Philip asked him, “Do you understand what you are reading?” “How can I unless someone teaches me,” was the Ethiopian’s reply. Mounting the chariot, Philip started in Isaiah and preached Jesus. Our scripture for today described what happened after this. The first act of obedience after we know Jesus – baptism!
1. In our scripture for today, when they came to water, the Ethiopian eunuch expressed the desire to be baptized. Why do you think that this was his desire?
2. The Ethiopian eunuch said, “What hinders me from being baptized.” By expressing himself this way, he seems to think that he may be disallowed or hindered from being baptized. Why do you think he had this hesitancy?
3. In verse thirty-seven of our scripture, Philip only gave one requirement for being baptized, “If you believe with all your heart,” followed by the Ethiopian expressing belief in Jesus Christ. What do you think it means to “believe” in Jesus?
1. SEARCH THE SCRIPTURE – The Ethiopian was reading the book of Isaiah. He had an open heart. As we read God’s word, He reveals Himself to us!
2. TELL PEOPLE ABOUT JESUS – Always be ready to tell others about the Lord, with your lips and with your life. Even in the desert you may get opportunities to be used of God to transform a life!
3. BE BAPTIZED – The primary act of obedience after knowing Christ is to profess Him publicly by being baptized. It’s a wonderful and powerful symbol that you have followed Jesus Christ as Lord!
Almighty God, thank you for revealing yourself to me through Your word, through other people, and through baptism. As Jesus was baptized in the River Jordan and as the Holy Spirit descended upon Him, help me to follow your example, at one-time being baptized in water and every day being baptized in your Holy Spirit to serve and follow You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.