“Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”
The context of this verse is a call for believers to persevere in their faith. God provided us a new way to enter his presence through the precious blood of Jesus, the ultimate sacrifice to buy our freedom from sin. Since God provided this path, we should follow that way consistently, trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior, and confessing Him as Lord. And having professed Him as Lord, we are encouraged to hold fast to Jesus without wavering, following His example of faithfulness. And in our faithfulness, we are also encouraged to embrace and express Christ’s love and good works. And the key to it all is to not give up gathering together to worship and encourage one another.
1. Our verse describes the tendency to “forsake” assembling together for worship. Why do you think Christians sometimes forsake church attendance?
2. In our scripture, one thing we are to do when we attend church is to “exhort” or encourage one another to walk faithfully with Jesus. What are some ways you can encourage other church members in their faith?
3. Finally, there is a sense of urgency in our verse to be faithful, to meet together, and to encourage one another. This urgency is because “the Day” is approaching. Why is it important to be found faithful when Jesus comes again?
1. SHOW UP. Come to church! Attend worship and your Sunday School small group. If every member attended on the same Sunday, the atmosphere would be electric!
2. SPEAK UP. Encourage others at church! Determine you will lavish others with love, care, friendliness, and concern. Ask your fellow church members how they are doing in their faith. Pray for one another!
3. PRIORITIZE. The Bible reminds us that the Day of the Lord is approaching. So, treat church attendance and encouraging one another as a priority. Jesus is coming again, and we need to be found faithful when He arrives!
Father God, I know it is easy to get stuck in the routine of life and forsake worshiping you, the reason we are here on earth. Help me remember to stay humble and point others to You in my words and deeds. Please fill my heart with gratitude so that I can give You the worship You deserve. Help me to walk in obedience daily, looking to You for grace and strength so that others may learn how to love You as I love You. In Jesus’ name, amen.