Family Group Night | April 23, 2023
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
Many people know about the significant events in Jesus’ life and ministry. They know about His birth. They know about his arrest and crucifixion. And they know about His resurrection. But one of the most important events happened after Jesus’ resurrection and is known as, “The Ascension of Jesus Christ.” Jesus gave instructions to His followers to testify to His reality and power, both locally and around the world. And after this challenge, He began to rise, going up into the air until He disappeared behind a cloud. But the story doesn’t end there. Two men dressed in white appeared and told His followers, “He will come back in the same way you have seen Him go into heaven.”
1. In the first of our verses, Jesus promises power to His followers when the Holy Spirit comes upon them. Why do you think the Holy Spirit’s power is necessary for us to be effective witnesses?
2. After Jesus’ instructions the Bible records that He ascended before their very eyes into the clouds. Why do you think the Lord left the earth in such a dramatic way?
3. As they were looking into the sky two men in white (presumably, the same angels who announced Jesus’ resurrection at the empty tomb) said, “Why do you stand here looking into the sky?” Why do you think Jesus followers were standing there? Are there times we should stand in awe of Jesus?
4. The men also said to them, “This same Jesus who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way as you have seen him go into heaven.” When do you think it is time to stop staring into heaven and get to work sharing the Good News of Jesus with others. Does the return of Christ motivate you to introduce others to Him? Why?
1. STOP AND WORSHIP – Stand in awe of Jesus! Consider his power and great works. Reflect on His teachings, sacrifice on the Cross, resurrection, and ascension.
2. GO AND TELL – Get to work! Both in season and out of season, preach and teach and tell the Good News of Jesus’ love and salvation to all who will receive.
“Help me, Lord, to worship in a way that honors you above all, exalting you in praise and humbling myself in awe. Also, Lord please help me to do the work of an evangelist. Going and telling everyone in the world about You! In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”