SAVED AND BAPTIZED!
1 Peter 3:18-21
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[e] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
There is a penalty of suffering and death sentenced to all who sin – and we have all sinned! But according to this passage in the Bible, Christ paid the penalty of suffering and death for us. And all who will receive His free gift of forgiveness will go free – forgiven and saved. But the story doesn’t end there. Jesus was also resurrected, defeating death, and now all who trust in Him will experience victory over death, and eternal life in heaven! This offer of freedom is made to all, even those who lived before Jesus was on the earth. And just like Noah was saved by the Ark that went through the water. Baptism today is a symbol of salvation – not by washing dirt from the body but symbolizing our trust in the resurrection power of Jesus to save and cleanse us from all sin. So, if you haven’t been baptized as a believer yet, do it! It is a symbol that says to the world, “I believe in Jesus – his death, burial, and resurrection – He has cleansed me from my sin, and I am devoted to Him forever!
1. Do you feel like you really believe in Jesus, His death on the cross, and His resurrection to bring you to salvation? Or do you feel like you are still in the process of becoming a Christian?
2. Also, if you believe, have you taken the next step and received God’s gift of salvation? The Lord won’t force you to be a Christian, but if you receive Him (pray and sincerely ask him to come into your life) you can be sure He forgives you, saves you, and gives you eternal life!
3. Finally, if you have believed in and received Jesus as Lord and Savior, have you taken the next step –
Believer’s Baptism. This is where you profess your faith symbolically by being baptized publicly in front of others. By being baptized you are saying symbolically that – “I have taken Jesus as my Lord.”
1. Admit that you are a sinner (1 John 1:8)
2. Receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior (John 1:12)
3. Be baptized to tell the world you are a Christian (Acts 2:41)
4. Live for Jesus every day! (Romans 14:8)
“Lord, I admit I am a sinner. I need and want Your forgiveness. Thank you for dying on the Cross to pay for my sins and to give me the free gift of deliverance and forgiveness. And thank you also for rising from the grave, defeating death for all who trust in you. So, I trust in you now. I am willing to live for you each and every day, but I need your power and your indwelling spirit to do so. So, I receive you as my Savior and Lord. Thank you for saving me! AMEN.”