Family Group Night | August 21, 2022
“Let those who love the Lord hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.”
Psalm 97 is a song of praise to the Lord. For the first nine verses, God is described as the Lord of the universe, exalted in His royal power. He is depicted in awesome and terrible terms, surrounded by clouds and thick darkness, and consuming His enemies with a raging fire. Even the mountains melt like wax before the Lord. And in verse six, “The heavens proclaim His righteousness, and all peoples see His glory.” Many who are unfaithful will pass away when the Lord comes in glory. But in verse ten, there are a faithful few who love the Lord, who hate evil, and whose faith in God keeps them faithful.
1. Jesus said, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (John 14:15) And in our scripture for today we read, “Let those who love the Lord, hate evil.” Why is love the motivation for faithfulness in the Bible?
2. The faithful ones who accept the Lord are granted forgiveness and deliverance in the afterlife. But in our scripture for today, what are two results of faithfulness to God in this life?
3. God “guards the lives” of those who are faithful to Him. How does faithfulness to the Lord keep you safe and under His protection?
4. The Lord also “delivers from the hand of the wicked” those who are faithful to Him. How can faith in the Lord protect you from wicked people and things that would do you harm?
1. You cannot be faithful to the Lord in your own power and goodness. You remain faithful to the Lord the same way you were saved. Namely, through your faith in God’s grace. So, recommit your life each day to God, accepting by faith His power to keep you faithful, consistent, and true.
2. Rekindle your love for the Lord. Many people work for the Lord and learn about the Lord. But like Mary in the Bible, learn to sit at the feet of Jesus in adoration and reverence. Loving the Lord is a key to staying faithful!
Dear heavenly Father. Even though I do not know what the future holds, I know that you hold the future. So, please help me to remain faithful, clinging to you as my lifeline, keeping me above the waters of danger and persecution, and helping me remember your steadfast love and faithfulness in all things. In Jesus' Name, Amen.