DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?
1 Corinthians 15:55-57
“Where, O grave, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Many people are familiar with the scripture passage above. It was written by the Apostle Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit as he wrote to a group of Christians living in the city of Corinth around 2000 years ago. It has been read so many times at the funerals of those individuals who have trusted in Jesus and have now passed away. This passage of scripture proclaims the victory over death that believers have through the resurrection of Christ. For followers of Christ, the sting of death has been replaced by the victory of eternal life!
1. It seems as though the Apostle Paul is taunting or “smack-talking” death in our passage of scripture for today as he writes, “Where, O grave is your victory? Where, O death is your sting?” How can Paul have so much confidence as to stare death down with such courage?
2. In our passage of scripture for today, Paul writes that we have the victory over death, “through our Lord Jesus Christ.” How can embracing Jesus as Lord and Savior give a person victory over death?
3. Also, in our scripture passage, Paul writes, “thanks be to God,” for the victory over sin, death, and the law. Why should we thank God and how can this thankfulness make each day better for a believer in Jesus Christ?
1. BE INSECURE IN YOUR OWN POWER. Without Jesus, you are no match for sin, death, and hell. Death’s power creeps up on everyone. And without Jesus, death takes away everything we have.
2. BE CONFIDENT IN JESUS’ POWER. But for believers in Jesus Christ, death’s power is taken away. Through His resurrection, death is defeated. And now for Christians, death becomes a doorway to eternal life!
3. LIVE YOUR LIFE IN VICTORY! The knowledge that sin, death, and hell have been defeated should make you grateful and happy each day. Even on the worst of days on this sinful fallen world, we know that a new world awaits us, if we have received Christ. A world of abundance, victory, and love. Our true home in heave with Jesus forever!
Oh Lord, I thank you for giving me victory in life and in death through the Lord Jesus Christ. No matter what is happening in the world, I know you are in control. You have never forsaken me in the past, and I know that my future is secure in you. I thank You for the blessings I will experience, the tribulations I will overcome, and the wisdom you will give me over time. In spite of my current situation, I will give You thanks and praise because this is the will of God in Christ Jesus. Amen.