Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.
The Apostle John had a vision of Christ while in exile on the Isle of Patmos, an island in present day Greece. In his vision, Jesus is no longer a babe in a manger or a suffering servant on the Cross. In John’s vision Jesus Christ is the ascended prophet, priest, and king revealed in all His heavenly glory. And in our verse for today Jesus speaks a message to anyone who will hear. Those who are “victorious” will be given three mysterious things – hidden manna, a white stone, and a new name! Manna refers to the care God gave to His people in the desert. The white stone refers to a “yes” vote cast in our favor by God. The new name refers to the new character God gives us when we are born again through Jesus.
1. “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” This refers to anyone in the church who will hear. How does we hear from the Spirit today? Are you ready to receive God’s word?
2. This message is to those who are “victorious.” But we are too weak in our own power to be spiritually victorious. How can we be victorious? Who can make us victors in any situation? (Hint: See Romans 8:37)
3. God gives his followers three gifts, “hidden manna, a white stone, and a new name.” Why do people sometimes refuse to receive these gifts by not trusting in Jesus Christ?
1. Depend upon God to lead you with His Word. He will speak to you if you are willing to listen.
2. Depend upon God to supply your daily needs for food and shelter. As He gave manna to the children of Israel, He will supply the needs of His children today.
3. The name in Bible times encompassed your entire character. Depend upon God to give you a new character as He writes His name and His character in your life, giving you a new birth into eternal life!
“Dear Lord, please claim me as your own. Write your name upon my life. I receive your “manna” (care and sustenance), your white stone (God’s approval), and a new name (a new, born-again character). “You are worthy to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” (Revelation 4:11)