Family Group Night | March 12, 2023
1 John 2:20
“But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.”
The Apostle John wrote this letter to an audience he addresses as, “My dear children.” (1 John 2:1a). These are possibly those younger in the faith, or perhaps even those he has personally led to belief in Jesus. And he makes no secret of the reason he is writing them. “I write this to you so that you will not sin.” (1 John 2:1b).
How easy it is to be pulled away from the Lord! The enticements of the world, the flesh, and the devil lead us astray (1 John 2:15-18). And false teachers abound, having a form of godliness, but denying that Jesus is the Christ, and sowing confusion (1 John 2:22, 26). But those who have, “an anointing from the Holy One…know the truth.” (1 John 2:20).
1. The word “anointing” refers to the practice of applying oil to the head of someone set apart for a special task. For example, the kings of Israel were anointed to serve. In this Bible verse it says you have received and anointing from the Holy One. What has God anointed us to do and be?
2. Why do you think God is referred to as the “Holy One” in this verse? What does this term make you think about God?
3. According to this scripture passage, the anointing from God will help us to know and discern the truth. How does God’s recognition and calling help us to discern right from wrong? To discern false teachers from true?
1. RECEIVE CHRIST. Open the door and invite him to be resident (and president!) of your life! This is the way to be saved.
2. RECEIVE GOD’S ANOINTING. God wants to bless you and recognize you and set you apart for special service. So, be willing to receive God’s mark and call upon your life.
3. RECEIVE GOD’S WISDOM. As you grow in your relationship to God, His anointing is a standard you can use to discern His will and to test every spirit to make sure you are following the truth.
Thank you Lord that all who have trusted in You for salvation have an anointing from the Holy One. May that anointing, that touch from you, help me discern right from wrong. And may that anointing help me to serve you faithfully. And may that anointing convict me of sin, and call me back to You. And may that anointing break strongholds and attitudes that Satan may use to limit me and hold me back from being all that you have called me to do and be. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.