CARING FOR OTHERS
1 Thessalonians 2:7b-8
“Just as a nursing mother cares for her children, so we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well.”
The Apostle Paul wrote these verses to a group of Christians in Thessalonica, a leading city in the Roman Empire that still exists today. The words of this passage overflow with affection. Paul writes that he cared for this church, “as a nursing mother cares for her children.” In another phrase he writes, “we loved you so much.” In another phrase Paul wrote that he was, “delighted to share with you” both the Gospel and his life. Oh, that we would learn to care for others in this way!
1. Why do you think Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, chose the love of a mother as an example of how we should care for others?
2. Paul wrote that he loved the Thessalonians so much that he was delighted to share the Gospel with them. Why do you think love would lead someone to share the Good News of Jesus with others?
3. Paul also wrote that, accompanying the sharing of the Good News with the Thessalonians, he also shared his life with them. How does sharing our life with others support our Gospel message?
1. Ask the Lord to help you care for others. Use the example of a mother’s love to guide you. But more important, let God’s love be your guide!
2. Share the Good News of Jesus with family, friends, neighbors, and acquaintances. Let the love of Christ motivate you. Your message could rescue others from sin, death, and hell.
3. Share your life with others. This will add credence to your Gospel message. Remember the old saying, “They will not care how much you know until they know how much you care.
Lord, please open my eyes to the needs of others. When I see hunger help me to provide food. When I see thirst, help me to provide water. When I see danger, help me to provide refuge and shelter. And when I see lostness, help me to share the Good News that your salvation, forgiveness, and eternal life is available through the precious blood of Jesus Christ. Give me your heartbeat for those in need. In Jesus name, AMEN