MY FAITH STORY
The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, “Return home and tell how much God has done for you.” So, the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him. (Luke 8:38-39)
In the Gospel of Luke, we read about a man who was possessed by a multitude of demons. Demons are the devil’s followers; they hate God and live to ruin a person’s relationship with God. This man was possessed (meaning enslaved or oppressed) by demons. He was hopeless and in need of saving. But then Jesus showed up! Jesus saved the man from his life of hopelessness. And then, He told him to return home and tell all that God has done for him. And the man obeyed, going back into his village and telling all that Jesus had done for Him. This man had a story of how Jesus had saved and changed his life. And through faith in Jesus, we also can have that same story of being saved from sin and hopelessness.
1. Why do you think the once demon-possessed man was so willing to obey Jesus’ command to return home and tell the town how much God had done for him?
2. There are three simple but important parts of a faith story ... (1) Life before Jesus, (2) when/how we placed our faith in Jesus, and (3) what has changed since placing our faith in Jesus. Can you identify these three parts in your faith story?
3. Is there anything that is keeping you from sharing your faith story with others? Why is that keeping you from sharing your faith story?
1. Each of our faith stories are different, but the basics are the same, through faith in Jesus we have been saved from our hopelessness and sin. Take time to thank God for saving you from your sin through Jesus.
2. Practice writing out your faith story. Be sure to use the three parts mentioned above. If you haven’t yet placed your faith in Jesus, use Scripture to look up and write out what it means to have salvation.
3. When was the last time you shared your faith story? Ask God for opportunities to share your faith story with someone this week. Start now and share it with other in your Family Group Night!
Lord Jesus, thank you for dying for my sins. Without You I would be stuck in my sin and completely hopeless. Help me to trust you with my life and help me to share my faith story with others – the story of what you have done for me.